2017 Yellowstone Winter Photo Tour
January 19 - 25, 2017Join professional photographer Max Waugh on a one week visit to a winter wonderland. This is a unique opportunity to photograph Yellowstone's wildlife in a stark and beautiful winter environment. You'll also have a chance to spend an extended period of time in the park interior, which can only be reached by specialized winter vehicles. Max will serve as your primary guide and advisor on this adventure. Though this is primarily a tour rather than a hard-core workshop, Max will be on hand to shoot alongside you and advise you as needed as you photograph Yellowstone's great variety of subject matter.
Tour Dates and Activities
Thursday, January 19: Pick up in Bozeman, Arrival in Yellowstone
Today we'll pick you up via group shuttle and transport you to Yellowstone National Park. Pick up is scheduled for early afternoon, so be sure to arrive in Bozeman either Wednesday night or Thursday morning.
Red foxes are commonly seen in Yellowstone in winter.
Gardiner, 1 Night
Friday, January 20: Into the Interior, Norris Geyser Basin or Hayden Valley, Madison River
Today we wake up early in order to meet our private snow coach driver for the trip into the park interior. On the way south we will keep an eye out for wildlife, and will also stop at some of the thermal areas and geyser basins on the way south, possibly including Norris Geyser Basin. Or we may make a detour to Hayden Valley, which can be a hot spot for wildlife such as foxes and river otters. We will spend the afternoon exploring the Madison River to look for trumpeter swans, bobcats and other wildlife.
West Yellowstone, 2 Nights
Trumpeter swans congregate on the Madison River.
In the morning we will scour the Madison for wildlife again while on our way to Old Faithful. There should be some excellent landscape photo opportunities in the geyser basins, with hot, steaming thermals providing great contrast against snowy surroundings. We will cap the day off with a visit to iconic Old Faithful and its neighboring geysers and pools before returning to the Madison in the afternoon.
Sunday, January 22: Yellowstone Lake, Hayden Valley, Canyon
We'll head over to the east side of the park today to photograph West Thumb Geyser Basin on the shores of the vast and frozen Yellowstone Lake. Heading northward, we'll look for foxes, coyotes, otters, bison and other wildlife in Hayden Valley before stopping to photograph Yellowstone Falls and the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. By the end of the day we will return to the park's Northern Range.
Otters are among the potential wildlife highlights on a winter tour.
We'll dedicate the rest of the trip to exploration of the park's Northern Range. After breakfast we will tour the area between the north and northeast entrances. This stretch of road is the best area of the park for wildlife, including the famed Lamar Valley. Here, we'll keep an eye out for wolves, otters, foxes and eagles.
Gardiner, 3 Nights
Wednesday, January 25: Return to Bozeman
We pack up to leave today, returning to Bozeman by late morning for flights home.
- $3139 per person, based on double occupancy
A 25% deposit is required to reserve your place.
Tour Prices Include:
- Lodging in Gardiner and West Yellowstone during the tour
- Transportation from and to Bozeman at the start and end of the trip via group shuttle
- Continental Breakfast and Boxed Lunches, as well as welcome dinner on first night
- Photo Instruction (if desired) by Max
- Guides and Drivers
- Snow Coach Fees
- Park Entrance Fees
- Taxes on all services
Tour Prices DO NOT Include:
- Airfare to/from Bozeman
- Lodging in Bozeman before/after the tour
- Transportation to the park from Bozeman if you miss the shuttle
- Gratuity for Guides and Drivers
- Single supplement fee listed above
- Dinners, except for welcome dinner on first night
- Additional snacks, alcohol and other food not provided with breakfast or lunch
- The itinerary listed above is subject to change, due to unpredictable weather or other factors.
- The majority of our park exploration during the winter tour takes place in a vehicle. Many photo opportunities in Yellowstone take place close to the road. However, during our visit to thermal areas, we will be exploring on foot using the boardwalks and trails. Occasional wildlife sightings may prompt us to venture off the road, depending on walking conditions. Tour participants should feel comfortable carrying their photo gear on these short walks.
- Deposits are refundable up to 90 days prior to the start of the tour, minus a $250 administrative fee. Within 90 days, deposits will not be refunded unless your spot is taken by another client and the tour sells out.
- Your balance is due 90 days prior to the start of the tour. Failure to pay the balance in full will lead us to invite the next person on the waiting list.
- Payments may be made via check or personal Paypal payment. If you wish to use a credit card, please add 2.9% to the total fee. We must wait for checks to clear before considering tour slots reserved or filled.
- We reserve the right to cancel the tour for any reason, including but not limited to a lack of participants. In such a case, your full deposit will be refunded. However, we are not responsible for any additional expenses incurred.